Special tax regimes in Italy for individuals
— 24 March 2022
Italy has been a country aimed at attracting talents in various sectors and special tax regimes are available to individuals, representing a strong motivation for moving to our Country:
- impatriate workers: allows 70% tax reduction (or 90% for those moving to the South of Italy) for the benefit of employees and consultants with a VAT number. This regime lasts 5 years plus additional 5 in case the individual meets the requirements for the extension
- researchers: allows a tax reduction of 90% for the benefit of employees and consultants with a VAT number. This regime lasts from 6 up to 13 years depending on the eligibility criteria for the extension
- retired people who move to municipalities of Southern Italy with less than 20,000 inhabitants: allows a 7% flat tax on foreign pension income as well as on other foreign source income, including dividends, interest and other capital income; this regime last 10 years and eligible individuals are also exempt from filing Form RW as well as from paying IVIE/IVAFE
- sportsmen and athletes: allows 50% tax reduction on employees’ and self-employed income. This regime lasts 5 years plus additional 5 in case the individual meets the requirements for the extension.
- new residents (High Net Worth Individuals): allows a flat taxation of 100,000 Euro on income produced outside of Italy, allows an exemption from inheritance and gift tax and from filing Form RW. This regime lasts 15 years and is active upon payment of Euro 100,000 flat tax.
Common access requirement for the special tax regimes indicated above is the transfer of residence to Italy pursuant to art. 2, paragraph 2 of the Italian tax code. It is also possible to file a Ruling with the Italian tax authority in order to have an official opinion about the eligibility for all special tax regimes.
For any further clarification please contact us.
, flat tax
, high net worth indivi
, new residents
, real estate
, retired people
, tax returns
, wealth tax